Sunday, February 8, 2009

Old Pipes




Over the past week I've exchanged a few emails with Jeff Cullen from the West coast. Jeff sent me some great photos of two vintage sets of Border pipes.

The first is "late 1700’s, but the chanter (with horn sole) is probably late 1800’s or later." The huge chalice tops are a lot of fun. I hope someday to get a chance to measure this set.

The second set is a 1830’s Perth MacDougall Border Pipe. I'm particularly pleased with these pictures. I've been looking for a set of MacDougalls for a while. I had heard the MacDougall firm made a nice set of border pipes, and my Grandmother is a MacDougall. I love the style of these drones. I'm strongly tempted to make a set of border pipes in this style. If anyone is interested in a set like these, let me know. I'll be making a gallery page on my website of historic instruments soon. I'll leep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment