Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cape Breton Weekend

I went down to the Upper Potomac Cape Breton Fiddle Fest this past weekend.  I had a great time.  It was a very quick two days of music.   And it was my first workshop where I was solely a fiddle student.  




Wendy MacIsaac, and Kimberly Fraser 
 

It wasn't easy, but I got through all the classes alright and learned a lot about how to do some of the little things that make Cape Breton Fiddling sound like Cape Breton Fiddling.  I especially enjoyed Wendy's classes.  She has a very easy going and friendly way about her that put me at ease, typical cape Breton demeanor really.  

To other pipers thinking of learning to play the fiddle:  Do it.  It hasn't gotten in the way of my piping at all.  In fact, I think that fiddling has really helped my piping.  I've never felt more confident as a piper than now.   If you think of music as a valley that you can only see from the mountain you live on, learning to play a different instrument is like standing on a different mountain.  It just gives you a different view.  You can see different things from fiddle mountain.




There's me in the back with the blue hat.

We should all thank Joanie Blanton for putting together a great weekend.  I hope she gets more Cape Bretoners down soon.  Next music weeked for me:
I'll be bringing both fiddle and piping student hats to that one.  Everyone should come!

No comments:

Post a Comment